eduroam and GÉANT
eduroam was pioneered by the GÉANT research and education networking community in Europe. The GÉANT (GN4-2) Project works with relevant industry and standardisation groups to find and share solutions related to eduroam technology and security. The registered trademark for eduroam® in Europe is held by the GÉANT organisation, which also helps to promote the deployment of the service.
eduroam in Europe
The European eduroam service is a large-scale collaboration between hundreds of institutions, the majority of which own and operate the service’s infrastructure. The national and international coordination of this infrastructure is undertaken by the Roaming Operators (ROs) and a central eduroam Operational Team that is funded by the GÉANT Project.
The GÉANT organisation coordinates and supports the Global eduroam Governance Committee (GeGC), which sets technical and organisational standards for the service and authorises compliant ROs to provide eduroam around the world.
The members of the GeGC are senior representatives of ROs or confederations of ROs. Representatives for a world region that has a confederation – such as Europe – are nominated by the confederation. In world regions without confederations, the ROs must jointly nominate their GeGC representatives. The GeGC members are officially appointed by GÉANT on the basis of these nominations, and currently are:
- Africa: Mohamed Aliouat, (ARN, Algeria), Kennedy Aseda (KENET, Kenya), Samuel Ouya (snRER, Senegal).
- Asia-Pacific: Hideaki Goto (Tohoku University, Japan), Neil Witheridge (AARNet, Australia), Deokjai Choi (Chonnam National University, Korea).
- Europe: Wenche Backman-Kamila (Funet/CSC, Finland), Paul Dekkers (SURFnet, Netherlands), Miroslav Milinović (Srce, Croatia).
- Latin America: Luis Castro (CUDI, Mexico), Claudio Chacón (CEDIA, Ecuador), Jean Carlo Faustino (RNP, Brazil).
- North America & Caribbean: Ann West (Internet2, USA), Chris Phillips (CANARIE, Canada), Reeve Ramharry (UWI, Trinidad & Tobago).
The GeGC includes non-voting technical experts:
- Stefan Winter (RESTENA, Luxembourg)
- Philippe Hanset (ANYROAM, LLC, USA)